Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Omelettes Are Not Possible

The new job is going well. I get to help an older organization transition to an online strategy, which is right up my alley.

I've had some interesting challenges. I've gone from a very disorganized, micromanaged (yes, those two things happened at once) environment to a much more collaborative and trusting situation.

But I've had the urge to use old patterns of behavior. I find my first instinct is to play the power game. I don't handle it well when I'm not in charge, and I don't like it when others have good ideas; I want to be the only smart one, and I want to be in control.

Like I've said in previous posts, there's a strong urge in politics to make excuses for bad behavior in the context of the greater good. You think, if I just break a few eggs, I make a world where omelettes are possible. But all you're really doing is creating a world where people break eggs. The only world your making is one where people do those bad things.

L is helping me get through this. I don't want to be that person.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home